Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What Would You Do Wednesday: Sleep Training

Okay so CMan is almost 8 months old and the child has never, not even once, slept through the night.



Nope I have gotten up every night for the last 8 months and beyond.

This momma is tired - very tired.

So I started attempting to wean CMan off nighttime nursing. For all of our sanities but in particular for my own sanity.

So two nights ago I prepped by going to bed early. He cried for an hour from midnight till 1 am. He then didn't wake up till 4 am which I had previously decided was the time I would like him to sleep to. So I nursed him at that point.

Last night I had high hopes for an easier night - I was definately wrong. Although he slept till 1:15. He managed to scream for two hours. Not straight he would periodically fall asleep giving me hope the battle was over - but no he would wake up and start screaming again. He then slept till 5 and woke up to nurse.

I do periodically go in and reassure him and stick in his binky. But I'm pretty sure that is not helping.


So I need to know some ideas on what you have done that worked...

some of you are probably saying you have an older child, why are you asking this question.

Well lets just say my first child was easy to train at doing anything. She slept through the night by 6 months all by herself.

So please mommas share some tips cause I sure as heck need some more sleep and little CMan is milking this situation for all its worth.

Ha ha ha - yes that was a joke! ;)

3 comments:

  1. One of the kids I nannied needed a little extra to get him through the night. He would go down around 8:30-9:00, but we would wake him at 11:00 for a little extra milk. It was just enough to hold him off all night. He would barely wake for the feeding and go right back to sleep. Something to think about anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the problem is if i let him nurse at all....then hes up every two to three hours after that! i would gladly just nurse him at 11 but if i do he'll be up at 2, 4, and 7 to eat more :P i'm not sure if his small size has anything to do with it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl. My advice is to keep letting him cry. 8 months is definitely old enough to sleep through the night. But, 9 is the cut off. Definitely by 9 months no matter their size (especially since from what I've read on your blog, he eats plenty of calories both from nursing and solids) little ones should be able to sleep through the night. Seriously. Get ear plugs! It's no surprise that he cried longer the second night. He caught on and realized he has to cry longer to get what he wants. In my experience, the more you go in, the longer they cry. Have you ready "healthy sleep habits, happy child?" I call it my sleep bible and reference it often. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete